(Greek: Παλαμήδι) is a fortress to the east of the
in the town of
southern Greece. Nestled on the crest of a 216-metre high hill, the
fortress was built by the Venetians during their second occupation of
the area (1686–1715).
The fortress was a very large and ambitious project, but was finished
within a relatively short period from 1711 until 1714. It is a typical
baroque fortress based on the plans of the engineers Giaxich and
Lasalle. In 1715 it was captured by the Turks and remained under their
control until 1822, when it was captured by the Greeks.
The eight bastions of the fortress were originally named after the
Venetian provveditori. However, when it fell to the Ottoman Empire,
the bastions were given Turkish names. Lastly, when the Greeks
overthrew the Turks the bastions were renamed after ancient Greek
leaders and heroes (Epaminondas, Miltiades, Leonidas, Phocion,
Achilles, Themistocles. The two remaining bastions were named after
St. Andrew (Agios Andreas) and the French Philhellene Robert who died
in battle on the Acropolis of Athens. The "Miltiades," was used as a
prison and among its walls was also held Theodoros Kolokotronis, hero
of the Greek Revolution.
The fortress commands an impressive view over the Argolic Gulf, the
city of Náfplio and the surrounding country. There are 913 steps in
the winding stair from the town to the fortress. However, to reach the
top of the fortress there are over one thousand. Locals in the town of
will say there are 999 steps to the top of the
castle, and specials can be found on menus that
incorporate this number to catch a tourist's eye.
Palamidi in 1708
Palamidi fortress seen from the
View of the Argolic Gulf from the Palamidi
Palamidi Castell (2002)
Coordinates: 37°33′43″N 22°48′15″E / 37.56194°N
22.80417°E / 37.56194; 22.80417
This article relating to archaeology in Europe is a stub. You can help
by expanding it.
This article about a Greek building or structure is a stub. You can
help by expanding it.