Parouse.com
 Parouse.com



Goniądz
Goniądz
([ˈɡɔɲɔnt͡s]; Belarusian: Го́нёндз Gónëndz) is a town in Poland, located at the Biebrza
Biebrza
river, (pop. 1,915) in Mońki
Mońki
county ( Powiat
Powiat
of Mońki) in Podlaskie Voivodeship
Podlaskie Voivodeship
in northeastern Poland. 80% of the town was destroyed in World War II. Rebuilt, in modern times the town is a local centre of agriculture, as well as a tourist destination. History[edit] The town was founded some time in the 14th century in dense forests covering the area back then. The first mention dates back to August 14, 1358, when a chronicler noted Goniądz
Goniądz
as a seat of a powiat within the land of Wizna. On December 2, 1382, the dukes of Mazovia (Siemowit IV and his brother and co-regent Janusz I) awarded the Wizna castle, together with the surrounding land, to the Teutonic Order. The land was bought back from the Teutons in 1402, but at the same time the order sold it to the Duke of Lithuania. Because of that, the town was disputed by both the Kingdom of Poland, Duchy of Mazovia
Duchy of Mazovia
and the Grand Duchy of Lithuania, with the latter state briefly gaining the upper hand. Eventually the series of Polish-Lithuanian Unions resulted with the town being somewhat of a borderland: owned by noble houses from both sides of the border, with laws of both states applied. In 1430 the duke of Lithuania Vytautas
Vytautas
founded a church there. Other owners of the town also expanded the small castle, the most notable of them being Prince Michał Gliński, Mikołaj II Radziwiłł
Mikołaj II Radziwiłł
and Sigismund II Augustus, the future king of Poland. In 1547 Goniądz
Goniądz
was granted with a city charter, modelled after the Chełm
Chełm
law. Four years later king Sigismund Augustus decided that only Polish law be applied for the land surrounding Goniądz
Goniądz
and finally in 1569 the town was annexed by Poland
Poland
and remained within its borders until today. In 1572 Goniądz
Goniądz
became part of the starostship of Knyszyn
Knyszyn
and the following year the Sejm, or the Polish parliament, confirmed the city charter. The town continued to grow rapidly and in 1579 was granted with the right to trade with salt, one of the most expensive minerals back then. On May 28, 1621 a huge fire destroyed the town, but it was quickly rebuilt and by 1667 became a seat of local administration. By 1765 the town had 243 houses and roughly 1500 inhabitants, mostly Poles, but also Jews and Tatars. In 1775 a new church was erected by bishop of Przemyśl
Przemyśl
Antoni Betański. External links[edit]

http://www.jewishgen.org/Yizkor/goniadz/goniadz.html

Media related to Goniądz
Goniądz
at Wikimedia Commons Coordinates: 53°29′N 22°44′E / 53.483°N 22.733°E / 53.483; 22.733

v t e

Gmina
Gmina
Goniądz

Town and seat

Goniądz

Villages

Białosuknia Budne Budne-Żarnowo Dawidowizna Doły Downary Downary-Plac Klewianka Kramkówka Duża Kramkówka Mała Krzecze Łazy Mierkienniki Olszowa Droga Osowiec Osowiec-Twierdza Owieczki Piwowary Płochowo Smogorówka Dolistowska Smogorówka Goniądzka Szafranki Uścianek Wojtówstwo Wólka